Catch up with Jonathan Haynes


Catch up with Jonathan Haynes
Cinematographer/Photographer

We were lucky enough to have Jono show some of his beautiful landscape photographs at our Bright Young Things exhibition. We fell in love with his dreamy shots along the Victorian coastline and his intriguing and quirky portraits.

We caught up with Jono about his photography, cinematography projects and what to look out from him in the future.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
Hi my name is Jonathan Haynes, I work in the film and TV industry, I mainly work in the camera department as camera assistant on a number of different projects ranging from feature films, TV shows and commercials. 

I am an aspiring cinematographer so I like to shoot music videos and web-series when I can. I like using cameras such as ARRI Alexa’s and lenses such as Kowa anamorphics.

I first got into photography when I was around 15years old at high school. I have only started back with still photography in the last couple years. For me, analog photography is a way I can work on my skills in terms of framing, composition and lighting. This all helps with the motion picture side of things. 

What is your creative project / business? Is it full time? Is a side hustle?  
Still Photography is definitely a creative outlet for me, I am pushing to become a cinematographer long term but it all helps in keeping the creative eye growing. At this stage photography is a side project for me but it is starting to grow. 

How and when did you start your creative project?
I have been working in the film and TV industry for about 7 years. In that time I have grown in knowledge and understanding of certain techniques and styles when working in film.

I have recently started shooting still photography again, which has made me excited and pretty involved with that process again which is making me want to explore it further and further.

What are your go-to creative tools? 
I still use film when it comes to photography. I use a range of stocks of 35mm and 120mm and I get my film develop locally at a place called ‘Hillvale Photo’. I do all my own scans at home using a program called Silverfast. I then import theminto Photoshop for editing.

Film-wise it can vary with what cameras and lenses I use. I like any camera from a company called Arri (German) and any lenses from Cooke optics (UK). 

How does your creative project make you feel? 
When I am shooting video I really enjoy it. Working with actors and a director as well as a number of crew working with you to create images is always a great feeling. 

When shooting still photography it is just me and a camera, so it’s a lot more personal. I like shooting portraits of people and photography encourages me to go out and explore new places.

Who, what & where inspires you and your work? 
I would have to say films inspire me the most. I grew up watching films from such directors such as John Carpenter, Paul Verhoeven and Stanley Kubrick. Basically, I am always watching films as a source of inspiration.  

Who is your favourite famous artist or creative person? 
Photography- Annie Leibovitz
Cinematography-Roger Deakins
Artist- Roger Dean 

Do you have any podcast, TV shows or book recommendations?
2040 – it's an Australian film, came out this year, worth a look

Name your fave Instagram accounts. 



Tell us what your average day looks like? 
I work freelance so I can be super busy and then super quiet. It can be week to week with what’s coming up but I find things to do either way. 

What’s your favourite thing to do on the weekend when you have no plans? 
Watch films, photography, surfing, PlayStation and catching up with friends.

What's next?
I recently got back from US and Mexico, I ended up shooting around 40 rolls while I was over there. I have slowly started to edit them and post them on Instagram.

I also recently shot a web-series at the start of the year which was a three week shoot and that is getting edited as we speak and its looking great. I am looking forward to seeing how that goes and seeing if that generates any interest work opportunities. 

Where can we see more?
My website for all my cinematography work which includes short films, music clips and more, can be found at www.jonathanhaynes.com.au


Instagram profile  with all photography and cinematography work. https://www.instagram.com/jonohaynes/










Comments

Popular Posts