Catch up with Nanna Said No






Catch up with Nanna Said No 
Graphic Designer & Illustrator
Natasha Björnsson-Merrick

We recently discovered Natasha’s work at Dr Morse’s Small Wall party with A Local Beer. A small selection of her works were displayed on the bars wall and we were instantly attracted to her talent and designs.

Natasha is a graphic designer and illustrator located in Melbourne, Australia. Natasha has been creating art since she was a toddler playing in her mother’s art studio. Growing up in a creative home in the hills of Byron Bay nurtured Natasha’s creative talents, inspiring her pursuit of visual and fine arts. 

We hope you enjoy the honest and inspirational conversation with Natasha from Nanna Said No. 

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m a 24-year-old graphic designer and illustrator currently living in Melbourne. I moved to Melbourne from Byron Bay in 2014 and fell in love with the city and made it my new home.

What is your creative business? Is it full time or a side hussle?

My business Nanna Said No is my side hustle, although fingers crossed one day it will be my full-time job!

How and when did you start your creative business?

Hmm, I started Nanna Said No around the start of 2017 when I started studying graphic design because I needed a way to promote my work.

Where did the name 'Nanna Said No' come from?
I came up with the name Nanna Said No when my mum was telling me a story about how when she was young she wanted to study art. However, my grandma told her no, that she should study something more practical and that there is no money in art. Give or take thirty years later my mum is now enrolled in university studying art and wishes she did it from the get go! I guess the name is a way to remind me to always pursue my dreams no matter what anyone else tells me to do!

What are your go to art tools? Fave supply shop? Or computer program?

I go through phases of what kind of mediums I feel like using. At the moment I'm mostly using the program Procreate on my iPad Pro. It's the best for creating large scale illustrations to be used for murals, etc.

How does your artwork make you feel?

Makes me feel EXCITED! I love a challenge and trying new things.

Who, What & where inspires you and your artwork?

Literally everything. I draw inspiration from the most random things.

Who is your favourite famous artist or creative person?

My favourite famous artist would be Escher for sure, and my favourite creative person has to be my mum.

Do you have any podcast, tv shows or book recommendations?

Only like a million recommendation. Haha! I’m currently obsessed with true crime podcasts such as My Favourite Murderer, Once Upon A Crime, And That's Why We Drink, etc. I totally recommend listening to them they are what gets me through work!

Name 3 of your fave Instagram accounts.

Uhhhm I don’t really have one. I suppose anything that posts art or animals!

Tell us what your average day looks like.
Really depends on the day... During the week I work full time as a graphic designer, so I’m up at 6 am to walk to work, then work till 5.30, then either go to yoga, hang with friends or draw!

What’s your favourite thing to do on the weekend when you have no plans?
Drink wine, watch movies, cuddle my dog and draw!

Tell us what is next for you. What are your plans creatively? What are you working on at the moment?
 I just want to keep learning and improving my skills! I’m currently working on a mural for a venue in Melbourne’s CBD, finishing off my design for the Melbourne Art Trams Competition (wish me luck) and trying to find time to finish off an art piece for a group exhibition next month! I'll be posting about it on my Instagram if you want to come to check it out. 















CHECK OUT NATASHA’S WORK-
Instagram- @nannasaidno
Facebook- Nannasaidno
Website- nannasaidno.com
Email- natashamerrick@hotmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts