Catch up with Arizona Tuesday




In Conversations with Arizona Tuesday-
‘Arizona Tuesday’ is the Instagram account featuring the scribbles of an eternally lost Melbourne beb; Miss Holly Fawkner. Today is Holly’s birthday. So, we thought it very appropriate to post her chat today to celebrate with her.

We met Holly back in 2014 through our school friend Nat, who was working with Holly at Sportsgirl at the time. Holly exhibited a collection of her cute illustrations at our first BRIGHT YOUNG THINGS exhibition back in 2015 and each one of them sold out in a flash!!
Arizona Tuesday style has evolved since this time and we adore her new chic illustrations and colour palette.  Holly is currently in traveling around Japan, I’m sure getting lots of inspiration from her soundings, we can’t wait to see what new works she comes up with. Hope you enjoy getting to know her creative process via our 10 questions.

Tell us a bit about yourself. 
 I’m currently working as a store manager for a street wear company, I live in a high-rise in the CBD and I’m continuously saving for travel.

What artworks do you create? I create weird, wobbly watercolour girls, full of liney detail and the appearance that they are all midway through an eye roll. My main materials are watercolour gouache and pen.

How and when did you start creating?
I remember always drawing as a kid. Mum would carry pen and paper around in her bag for when my brother and I would get restless. I took a break from it for ages though. It’s probably only been the last 4 years that I’ve been constantly creating. I used drawing as a way to save for travel, drawing people things instead of buying them presents, and selling little bits and pieces. Through this I kind of gained more confidence in what I was doing, although my style has changed vastly year to year.

What are your go to art tools and fave supply shop?   Windsor and Newton gouache, metallic Uni ball Signo pens and Staedtler triplus fineliners. A lot of my art supplies I ended up with from random art stores and news agencies on my travels as I’d constantly be wishing I had bought more to draw with. I do end up getting a lot of my paper and supplies from Eckersleys though.

How does your artwork make you feel? My work sometimes is the result of a sad/painful/embarrassing situation I’ve just been through so it can be a real relief when I’ve created something I’m proud of out of it. All the line work is really soothing and it’s nice to see an uncomfortable situation turned into something fun. The less than impressed eyes always make you feel like nothing really matters that much anyway.

Who, What & where inspires you and your artwork? Shitty friends, bad relationships, houseplants and the eternal struggle to know ones place in the world, social media, music and just people, I love people watching.

Who is your favourite famous artist or creative person? I’ve always loved the detailed compositions of Del Kathryn Barton, and ridiculousness and simplicity of David Shrigley.

Do you have any podcast, tv shows or book recommendations? BoJack Horseman, Peep show and Archer are 3 shows I have spent way too much time binging. Funny yet painfully realistic on how dark life can get. I also just finished reading ‘Just Kids’ by Patti Smith. She has Always been one of my favourite musicians, and they way she writes in such a romantic way but with an almost child like view of the world is beautifully inspiring.

 Name three of your fave Instagram accounts@jeffcheung1@bodeburnout, @kliuwong

What is your favourite thing to do on the weekend when you have no plans? Watch live music, go for a walk in the botanic gardens, make bread, or check out thrift stores.









CHECK OUT ARIZONA TUESDAYS WORK-
Instagram- @arizona_tuesday
Personal- @___arizona___
Commissions- Direct message please. 

Comments

Popular Posts